GrADS installation on Mac

Alex Fierro iwonagain at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 21 13:41:15 EDT 2008

Hey there Sarah:
I successfully installed GRADS 1.9b4 and 1.8 versions on my MAC OS X 10.4
Tiger. Just download the pre-compiled exec folder (binaries + .o files) onto
your desktop and you should be set. Download at
http://www.iges.org/grads/downloads.html : the darwin (full) 1.9b4.
If use some numerical models (such as WRF), the previous version of grads
could behave funky so I'd recommend the newer one.

I added the following variable into my bash script:

set FONTCAP fontl
set GRAPHCAP t4010
#set GAUDFT /Users/alexandrefierro/grads-1.8sl11/udf/regrid2/udft.regrid2
#set GASCRP /Users/alexandrefierro/gradsdata
set GADDIR /Users/alexandrefierro/gradsdata
alias grads='/Users/alexandrefierro/Desktop/grads-1.9b4/bin/gradsnc'

Make sure you open X11 before running grads

Then you should be set,

One of the main problems in grads is that one cannot dump output into a
*.txt file without a single command, which I hope one day they will include.
That would avoid one having to write a fortran program to convert the
binaries into .txt.

Cheers,

Alex-

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Sarah Chan <schan.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm needing help to compile/install GrADS on my Macbook (Tiger 10.4).
> I'm new to writing code, using Terminal, etc.   - essentially starting
> from scratch.
> Is there a document/website that can provide me with such help, or someone
> who has gone through a similar process?
> Which version of GrADS should I attempt to run?
>
> Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
>
> Sarah
> schan.lists at gmail.com

Alexandre Fierro, PhD
Post-Doctoral National Academy of Sciences Research Associate/
Hurricane Research Division, Miami, FL (NOAA/AOML)

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute.
But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute, and its longer than any hour.
That's relativity."
-Albert Einstein-

"My opinions are my own and not representative of OU,
AOML, HRD or any affiliates."