GFS Grib-2 files

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 18 12:55:17 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Eric Altshuler <ela at cola.iges.org> wrote:

> Hi Arlindo and Mark,
>
> I have noticed something very strange about the gdf files that are
> generated for GFS files of type 'gfs.t??z.pgrb2bf??'. I have never used
> these particular GFS files and I'm not sure what they're for. (The 0.5
> degree GFS grib-2 files I am familiar with are 'gfs.t??z.pgrb2f??'). In the
> gdf file, there are 37 pressure levels specified in the zdef line, every 25
> mb from 1000 to 100 mb...

I am also very confused by all these different files; NCEP's FTP site could
use a README file. Does anyone out there understand the difference/purpose
of the different files under

    ftp://ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/gfs/prod/gfs.2008041806

Some of the files are mentioned here:

   http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/products/gfs/

but not all.  Where could we send user feedback to NCEP requesting a README
file for the FTP site?

    Thank you,

         Arlindo

--