Station data-Stnmap problem

Xiucheng Wang xcwang at MAIL.IAP.AC.CN
Wed Apr 16 08:53:00 EDT 2008

pay attention to the following 2 rows
10    read(8,9000,end=90) iyear,imonth,stid,rlat,rlon,rval,rval2
 9000  format(i4,1x,i1,1x,i2,1x,f9.5,1x,f9.5,1x,f7.2,1x,f7.2)
you use "i2" to read integer into character type variable "stid" , try the format "A8"  and make some other corresponding corrections to your codes if necessary!
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ioannis Koletsis
  To: GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT
  Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:26 PM
  Subject: Station data-Stnmap problem

  Dear grads users,
  following the example for the file of rain (http://www.iges.org/grads/gadoc/gadocindex.html), I created the following program for 2 variables u and v

  character*8 stid
         open (8,name='clear_data.txt')
         open (10,name='data.dat',form='unformatted',access='direct',
       + recl=4)
   10    read(8,9000,end=90) iyear,imonth,stid,rlat,rlon,rval,rval2
   9000  format(i4,1x,i1,1x,i2,1x,f9.5,1x,f9.5,1x,f7.2,1x,f7.2)
         if (iflag.eq.0) then
            iflag=1
            iyrold=iyear
            imnold=imonth
         endif
         if (iyrold.ne.iyear.or.imnold.ne.imonth) then
            nlev=0
         write(10) stid,rlat,rlon,tim,nlev,nflag,nflag2
         endif
         iyrold=iyear
         imnold=imonth
         tim=0.0
         nlev=1
         nflag=1
         nflag2=1
         write(10) stid,rlat,rlon,tim,nlev,nflag,nflag2
         write(10) rval,rval2
         goto 10
   90    continue
         nlev=0
         write(10) stid,rlat,rlon,tim,nlev,nflag,nflag2
         stop
         end

  The compilation was completed successfully and a fortran_pr.e file was created. Afterwards running the file a data. dat file was created, also.
  Then using the following station_data.ctl file

  DSET   ^data.dat
  DTYPE  station
  STNMAP station_data.map
  UNDEF   -99999
  TITLE  Station Data Sample
  TDEF   1 linear 06z27jul2003 12hr
  VARS 2
  u     0  99  surface u-wind
  v     0  99  surface v-wind
  ENDVARS

  I execute the command stnmap -i station_data.ctl, I received the following

  Name of binary data set: data.dat
  Number of times in the data set: 1
  Number of surface variables: 2
  Number of level dependent variables: 0

  Starting scan of station data binary file.
  Binary data file open: data.dat
  Processing time=1
  Invalid station hdr found in station binary file
  Possible causes: Invalid level count in hdr
  Descriptor file mismatch
  File not station data
  Invalid relative time
  levs=-1073751116 flag=0 time=32.625