g2gdf.pl in GrADS1.9

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 9 21:06:33 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Mark Sponsler <msponsler at comcast.net> wrote:

> Using Grads1.9 Win32 superpack (non-self installing) ver 4/6/08 off a
> flash drive on a machine which I do not have admin rights...
>
> While playing with the new g2gdf.pl extension in Grads1.9, received the
> following error trying to read a grib2 file:
>

> >set PATH=c:\Program Files\PCGrADS19\win32
>
> >g2gdf.pl -o c:\grib\input_new\multi_1.gdf  -I
> c:\grib\input_new\multi_1.inv c:\grib\input_new\multi_1.wc_4m.t12z.grib2
>
>   g2gdf - control file/inventory for "g2" extension
>
>         Descriptor: c:\grib\input_new\multi_1.gdf
>          Inventory: c:\grib\input_new\multi_1.inv
>           Data Dir: c:\grib\input_new\
>         Grib files: multi_1.wc_4m.t12z.grib2
>
> cannot create c:\grib\input_new\multi_1.gdf --- is g2ctl.pl on path? at
> c:\Program Files\PCGrADS19\win32\g2gdf.pl line 52.

Start by testing whether g2ctl works on your grib2 file; use the g2ctl.exe
version.

> All the other apps seem to work fine when using the 'set PATH' command.
>
> Maybe something needs to be 'virtualized' in g2gdf.pl?

I am a bit confused. Which shell are you using? Are you using the Perl
version (g2gdf.pl) or the executable "g2gdf.exe"? If using the script
version you must use a Cygwin compiled perl, or else you may need to use
"dos2unix" to convert the resulting text files .gdf/.inv. Also, use POSIX
file names with forward slashes: c:/grib/input_new/multi_1.wc_4m.t12z.grib2
My recommendation would be for you to start with g2gdf.exe and g2ctl.exe
which should already be in your win32 directory. Next, try these with POSIX
file names. And if using g2ctl.pl with perl/cygwin, you need the win32
patched version.

  Let me know how it goes. Are your particular grib-2 files available
on-line?

   Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva