Fwd: Shapefile question

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 8 16:03:08 EDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Graziano Giuliani <graziano.giuliani at poste.it>
Date: Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 4:01 PM
Subject: Re: Shapefile question
To: Arlindo da Silva <dasilva at alum.mit.edu>

Seems my lamma account is not able to post on gradsusr... will check
with cineca the reason for this. Can You please post the following in
ML, or make an answer to Mark on GRADSUSR?

Hi Mark,
gshhs shapefile contains same data as in the binary file, so we have
mostly arcs and not so much polygons.
To fill a shape, it must be closed.
ESRI data are much more quality checked and with lot of useful geometric
characteristic, but they are non-free (being the same very diffused).

Does anybody here know about a source of global public GIS data in a
format supported by gdal?

Graziano.

---
You may get an opportunity for advancement today. Watch it!

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu