GRADS successfully installed on a 64-bit LINUX machine!

Patrice Dumas pertusus at FREE.FR
Wed Oct 31 19:07:05 EDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 03:47:18PM -0700, Kevin M Levey wrote:
> WED 31OCT07: 1520PDT
>
> Dear Grads community
>
> http://rpm.pbone.net/
>
> think of RPMs as Unix self-installing bundles easily run from the command
> line (as root user).

For rpm based distros only (RHEL/CENTOS, fedora, mandriva, suse). And
there is some work to be done by the packagers.

> Do a search for GRADS on http://rpm.pbone.net/ and you will see many flavors
> of UNIX listed there. FYI, you CAN install the latest FEDORA core versions
> on CENTOS since they both essentially come from the original red Hat Linux.

Beware that there may be incompatibilities, in the package name for
example, or binary incompatibilities.

More or less, Centos 4 comes from Fedora 3, Centos 5 from fedora 6.

> Essentially here is what I learned:
>
> 1] download the GRADS RPM AND ALL the GRADS dependencies listed on the
> http://rpm.pbone.net/ site once you do a search for GRADS
> 2] install ALL the dependencies first BEFORE installing the GRADS RPM
>
> and you may need to install or update more than one RPM at the SAME time.
> After much back and forward, GOOGLE searching etc, GRADS finally needed one
> further RPM not listed in the original list and that was the
>  netcdf-3.6.2-5.fc7_92.x86_64.rpm RPM also found on http://rpm.pbone.net/

You can also use as much as dependencies as possible from a centos
repository, like
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL
with yum. In epel, there is at least hdf, netcdf, udunits and libdap. I plan
to have grads, libsx in epel for the next quarter release.

> I merely wanted to share this information with you all so that you can know
> that it is possible to get GRADS installed on a 64-bit LINUX system.

On fedora it is even easier that that since,

yum install grads

does the trick.

But also be warned that files with non free software licenses are not in the
fedora rpms (lats and gui, in grads 2 the gui will be available).

--
Pat