problems with gens and apcpsfc field

Massimo Aceti @ mtg massimo.aceti at METEOGIORNALE.IT
Wed Oct 17 15:38:34 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I've got some problems with gens low resolution files

Using get_grib.pl & get_inv.pl utilities I download only some fields
from all grib2 files of this dataset
http://140.90.33.30/data/nccf/com/gens/prod/gefs.$date/$run/pgrb2alr/

I convert grib2 files in grib1 format with cnvgrib using -g21 option

then I create ctl files using template option

So I obtain 21 ctl files like this

dset /home/prova/ensemble/00/gep01.%f2.grb
index /home/prova/ensemble/00/gep01.00.grb.idx
undef 9.999E+20
title /home/prova/ensemble/00/gep01.00.grb
*  produced by grib2ctl v0.9.12.5p39a
dtype grib 2
options template
options yrev
ydef 73 linear -90.000000 2.5
xdef 144 linear 0.000000 2.500000
tdef 65 linear 00Z17oct2007 6hr
*  z has 2 levels, for prs
zdef 2 levels
850 500
vars 4
APCPsfc  0 61,1,0  ** surface Total precipitation [kg/m^2]
HGTprs 2 7,100,0 ** (profile) Geopotential height [gpm]
PRMSLmsl  0 2,102,0  ** unknown level Pressure reduced to MSL [Pa]
TMPprs 2 11,100,0 ** (profile) Temp. [K]
ENDVARS

The probem is that after 258 hours step, grads don't display the apcpsfc
field, the message is "Cannot contour grid - all undefined values"

I try also to concatenate grib2 files with cat, then convert with
cnvgrib the 21 resulting files and then create ctl files without option
template

But there is ever the same problem with apcpsfc field

using wgrib I saw that up to 252 hours step the TimeU of apcp field is
set to 1 (TimeU=1) and after to 11 (TimeU=11). Is the only difference I saw

Maybe the problem is in cnvgrib. There's a problem with precipitation
field also in a single file after the 354 hours step.

I use grads 1.94 under unix machine (distro linux debian)

anyone has an idea to solve the problem?

Thanks

Massy