Plot multiple files with one control file

Wang Lizhi wlz at TEA.AC.CN
Fri Oct 12 03:08:16 EDT 2007

Dear Users,

I download the NCEP reanalysis-2 dataset from the site http://nomad3.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/raid1/reanalysis-2/month/  and use the following step to convert the GRIB data
grib2ctl.pl datfile > datfile.ctl
gribmap -i datfile.ctl -0

then every month the file as following: datfile, datfile.ctl and datfile.idx

I want to display multiple file with one control file, so I have the whole control file named ncep.ctl as :

dset ^flx.ft06.%y4%m2.avrg.grib
index ^flx.ft06.%ym%m2.avrg.grib.idx
options template
*  dataset from 197901 to 200709
tdef 345 linear 00Z01jan1979 1mo
vars 54
endvars

when I display the file, the following error is displayed:
Open Error:  Can't open Station/Index map file flx.ft06.%y4%m2.avrg.grib.idx
  --> The invalid description file record is:
  --> index ^flx.ft06.%y4%m2.avrg.grib.idx

How can I read the multiple index files with grads?

Grads:  v1.8SL11 32-bit   OS: SuSE 10 with kernel 2.6.16.27-0.9-smp x86_64

thanks

lizhi