stations data file generation

Jayakrishnan PR prjayakrishnan at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 28 04:05:17 EST 2007

On Fri, 2 May 1997 17:17:31 -0400, Luis V. Matamala <lmatamal at TMM.CL> wrote:

>>I am a new user of Grads listserv.
>>
>>I'm try to put in GrADS file (for PC) some station data. I using a fortram
>>program and using the binary format to write the file. However when I run
>>the stnmap utility this tell:
>>Invalid station hdr found in station binary file
>>posible causes: Invalid level count in hdr
>>                Descriptor file mitmatch
>>                File not station data
>>                Invalid relative time
>>

>>I was surprised when I repeated this process in the workstation (only change
>>the format to the output file by 'unformatted') and the xstnmap utility run
>>well.
>>
>>I think that the problem is in format of the output file for PC, but Im not
>>sure. Please help me to solve this problem.
>>
>>Abel Centella                             abel at vortice.atmosfcu.unam.mx
>>Centro de Ciencias de la Atmosfera
>>Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico
>>Mexico D.F.
>>

>Which fortran compiler are you using, and where?
>
>Fortran in Linux (Unix for PC's) should be no problem if you worry about
>the byte swap.  However, Fortran in DOS is problematic if you use a
>compiler which adds on byte headers to their binary data records.  In
>Lahey Fortran, use 'TRANSPARENT' to eliminate these record headers.
>I'm not sure, but I think Microsoft Fortran also has these headers.
>
>Best bet is to compile your station data in a workstation and use it from
>there.
>
>Luis Matamala                           lmatamal at tmm.cl
>EnviroModeling Ltd.
>EnviroModeling Ltda.
>Loreley 1023, La Reina
>Santiago - Chile
>Phone: 56-2-2263764
>e-mail : lmatamal at tmm.cl

I also faced the same problem while running stn map utility. But Now I am
having the fortran source code which will work and I was able to plot the
station data. If you want the source code Kindly mail me. I think the
problem is with your FORTRAN.