NetCDF Xdfopen problem

Eric Altshuler ela at COLA.IGES.ORG
Tue Nov 13 19:54:12 EST 2007

Mike,

Apparently the documentation contains conflicting information. The section on data descriptor files never mentions any modifications for XDEF, etc. in the case of netcdf data. However, the section on 'xdfopen' does say the modifications are necessary. I have never actually encountered this situation since all the netcdf datasets I've worked with could be opened directly with 'sdfopen' and a DDF was not needed. In giving you advice, I looked at the documentation on DDFs but not at the documentation on xdfopen, so I apologize if I led you astray.

As for the error in the dtype line, try deleting it from your DDF. The 'dtype netcdf' is perfectly valid (and necessary) if you are using 'open' to open the DDF, but I'm not sure that's the case when using 'xdfopen'.

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705-3106
USA

E-mail: ela at cola.iges.org
Phone: (301) 902-1257
Fax: (301) 595-9793

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Johnson" <Mike.W.Johnson at NOAA.GOV>
To: GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 6:08:18 PM (GMT-0500) America/New_York
Subject: Re: NetCDF Xdfopen problem

Eric - thanks for response. However, still having some difficulties.
1. Making changes you suggested my .ddf file looks like:

DSET  ^20070824_1200.nc
DTYPE netcdf
TITLE Example NetCDF File
UNDEF -99999.
XDEF 200 LINEAR -125.117 2.5
YDEF 200 LINEAR 40.2711 2.5
ZDEF LINEAR 1 1
TDEF 39 LINEAR 12Z24AUG2007 1HR
VARS 2
ws=>ws 1 t,z,y,x Wind Speed
wd=>wd 1 t,z,y,x Wind Direction
ENDVARS

2.  Error generated using gradsnc to open grads:
xdfopen 20070824_1200.ddf
Scanning Description File: 20070824_1200.ddf
XDFopen Error:  Unknown keyword in description file
 --> The invalid description file record is:
 --> dtype netcdf
 The data file was not opened.

question - Looking at on-line documentation, I thought the XDEF, YDEF, ZDEF, TDEF needed to be
modified for netcdf files to add exact variable name described in ncdump of file. From your suggestion, apparently that's not true?

thanks

Mike Johnson
Senior Forecaster,
Medford OR Weather Forecast Office