Stereographic projection in GRADS

Ernani de Lima Nascimento elnascimento at UFPR.BR
Mon Nov 12 05:24:56 EST 2007

Dear colleagues,

I have a pre-projected field in a stereographic projection (at true
latitude 45 degrees north, instead of the standard 60 degrees). My domain
does **not** include the pole. Ok, GRADS has that pdef card that allows
reading pre-projected data, but please correct me if I am wrong: I
understand that one thing I will have to do first is to convert my field
to the standard 60 degrees true latitude for this projection to work on
GRADS, right?

My other question is related to the ipole and jpole definition for pdef.
Because the north pole is outside of my domain I will have to determine
the (i,j) for the pole; because this (i_pole,j_pole) cannot be negative,
then I understand that it has to be determined with respect to the
lower-left corner of my domain. Is this what the pdef (ipole,jpole)
expects me to provide?

I am afraid I am asking some stupid questions, but I do not have a
"hands-on" experience with this pre-processing of projected data for
GRADS. Thus, I would appreciate any help. Thanks a lot!

Ernani Nascimento