Still struggling with regrid2

Robert Burgman rburgman at RSMAS.MIAMI.EDU
Tue May 29 15:26:28 EDT 2007

I am also having a problem with regrid2. I have compiled the function
on our linux box and it is working fine, however when I compiled the
code on my macbook pro I get an error

ga-> d regrid2(sst,5,5,ba)
number of arguments =            0

regrid requires 2 or more arguements: <<a write statement tells me
the nargs=0 here>>

Error from regrid2: Error reading from transfer file
   File name: udf.regrid.gfi
Operation Error:  Error from regrid2 function
   Error ocurred at column 1
DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
   Expression = regrid2(sst,5,5,ba)

I am unsure why there is a problem reading from the udf.regrid.gfi
file, which is created when I execute the command and is populated
with data. The udf.regrid.gfo and udf.regrid.out are , of course empty.
Has  any one compiled regrid2beta.f on an intel Mac?

Thanks,
Rob

On May 29, 2007, at 3:17 PM, Daniel Victoria wrote:

> Mike, I'm resending an earlier email where I explain the dimensions of
> the files. Could it be that I'm trying to convert a gaussian grid to a
> uniform grid?

> ---------------------------------
> I've daily NetCDF TMAX from ncep/ncar reanalysis at a gaussian grid
> (downloaded from cdc) and want to resample it to a 0.25 x 0.25 grid.
> So I issued the following command:
>
> lats4d -i input.nc -o output -de template_0.25.ctl -func regrid2(@,
> 0.25,0.25,bs)
>
> And the output grid I got is all messed up! The dimensions and the
> template file are:
>
> Input dimensions:
> ga-> q file
> File 1 : daily NMC reanalysis (1948)
> Descriptor: tmax.ncep.1948.2006.nc
> Binary: tmax.ncep.1948.2006.nc
> Type = Gridded
> Xsize = 33  Ysize = 21  Zsize = 1  Tsize = 21550
> Number of Variables = 1
>   tmax 0 -999 Daily Maximum Temperature at 2 m
> ga-> q dims
> Default file number is: 1
> X is varying   Lon = 270 to 330   X = 1.00001 to 33
> Y is varying   Lat = -29.5234 to 8.57257   Y = 1 to 21
> Z is fixed     Lev = 0  Z = 1
> T is fixed     Time = 00Z01JAN1948  T = 1
>
> Template file:
> dset nofile
> title "Template GrADS ctl at 0.25 horizontal grid"
> options template
> undef -999
> xdef 129 linear 279 0.25
> ydef 101 linear -20 0.25
> zdef 1 levels 1
> tdef 21550 linear 00z01jan1948 1dy
> vars 1
> var 0 0 generic
> endvars
>

> Anyone knows what am I doing wrong?
> Cheers
> Daniel
>
> On 5/29/07, Michael Fiorino <Michael.Fiorino at noaa.gov> wrote:
>> daniel, this could be a bug, but it might also be the size of nimax,
>> njmax -- you may need to increase for really big output files.  i
>> wrote
>> this over 10 y ago and the default nimax,njmax is now on the low
>> side.
>> also, check the open for udf.regrid.gfi (input grid file) and
>> udf.regrid.gfo (output grid file).  i'm confused why you're
>> getting more
>> data out; you may need to do a 'set lat ...' 'set lon ...' to force
>> output exactly where you want...  the version you're using is that
>> latest...  best /r mike
>>

>> Daniel Victoria wrote:
>> > Hi Michael,
>> >
>> > Xavier Francis helped me out and I figured out what was going on.
>> > regrid2 was adding some more lines and columns to the output
>> file. So,
>> > the way I solved the issue was to export the regrided file to a
>> binary
>> > grid (set gxout fwrite). When I do this, GrADS reports the
>> number of
> [...]

Dr. Robert Burgman
Division of Meteorology and Physical Oceanography
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
University of Miami MPO, MSC 237
4600 Rickenbacker Causeway
Miami, FL 33149

Tel:        (305) 421-4272