problem opening and using multiple files

Erika Coppola coppolae at ICTP.IT
Thu May 10 11:54:20 EDT 2007

Hello GrADS Users,

I am having a strange problem with grads.
This is my grads version and my platform:

Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 1.9b4
Linux ....  i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz unknown GNU/Linux

I am running a script that:
-opens 64 files (GCM monthly output, time interval 1901-1999)
-computes a mean for each of the files and then computes the ensemble
mean (mean of the means)
-closes all files and undefines all variables except the ensemble mean
-opens 34 new files of the same kind (different time interval, 2001-2100)
-computes a mean for each of the files and then the ensemble mean (mean
of the means)
-finally, the ensemble means of the two time periods are compared

When I started to write the script yesterday I had one file per time and
it worked.

Then I closed my computer and this morning when I connected again and I
started grads again, I tried to run the same script and I got a the
following message:
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

At the end I wrote a short version of the script with only the first 64
files open and it worked. The strange thing is that if I run the short
version and then reinit grads, I can run the full version (64 files and
then 34 files).

I was wondering if any of you have had a similar experience? Is this
connected with a maximum of files that can be opened in grads or is it a
memory problem?

  Thanks
  Erika

  Coppola Erika , Ph.D
  Earth System Physics Section
  The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics Strada
  Costiera 11 34100 Trieste, ITALY
  Phone: + 39 040 2240 407 Fax: + 39 040  2240 449

  email: coppolae at ictp.it