Install GrADS 1.9 in Macintosh

Eric Salathé salathe at WASHINGTON.EDU
Tue May 8 13:42:23 EDT 2007

Ali-

On the Mac, GrADs is basically the same as the linux/unix version.
You run grads from the command line in a terminal window and display
the graphics window in X11. Hopefully you have some linux/unix
experience or support available to set this up. Here are the non-
standard bits:

First, you must have X11.app installed; this is an optional package
that is not installed by default. Insert your OS X Install Disc 1 and
double click the "Optional Installs" icon (probably need to scroll
down a bit). When you get to the "Installation Type" step, expand the
"Applications" and select X11. By default, when you launch X11 (it
will be in Applications/Utilities), it will open an XTerm window that
you can use to run grads.

When you download grads, it will save a file "grads-bin-1.9b4-
darwin.tar". Your browser may or may not expand this to create a
folder "grads-1.9b4"; if not double click the .tar file or use "tar
xf grads-bin-1.9b4-darwin.tar".

Follow the directions in the file grads-1.9b4/bin/INSTALL, which
entails a bit of manipulation in the unix shell (command line). There
is an error in this file*. Where it says "cd /usr/local/bin ...." you
should instead navigate to the directory grads-1.9b4/bin and type
"sudo cp * /usr/local/bin" (type your password when requested). Now
start X11 and type "gradsnc" in the XTerm to start  grads.

-Eric

* Three, actually: 1) if you're reading INSTALL, then you've already
untarred the the tarfile 2) there is no file called tarfile.gz 3) the
tar file has the executables in a subdirectory, so untarring to /usr/
local/bin won't do the right thing anyway.

--
Eric Salathé
CSES Climate Impacts Group