Plotting Skew-Ts in GrADS-Need Help

Ren Diandong dd_ren at ROSSBY.METR.OU.EDU
Wed Mar 14 20:34:26 EDT 2007

Hi, Dale Unruh,

Had you been helped? (ignore the following if so).

As to me the binary file needed by GrADS is very normal.
If you can write a FORTRAN program that takes out the Pressure,
Temperature, dew point temperature , wind speed and its direction
(starting from due north and clockwise positive) out of your *.avap
data, I do have a script to plot it (forgive me for not looking into
your *.avap data yet, suppose it is a text file that have many lines of
info.).

I have a script for drawing the Emagram (skew-THETA-logP, if you want to
call it). It was finished long time ago in China (where I was trained to
read Emagram rather than the Skew T-logPs). Change one function can make
it plot the Skew T-logP graph, I believe. It is rather flexible. You
change only the 'parea' setting and all the contents (including the font
sizes and line thicknesses change properly).

Only concern is the Magnus-Teton parameterization may be slightly
different (I know here they use polynomial expansion follow a 80's
literature). Also, I sticked to the SI units (e.g., m/s rather than
knots).

The background map is provided as data (binary) files. The moist
adiabatic lines and the saturated specific humidity lines are created
using an iteration scheme rather than the draw contour line in a GrADS
setting frame.

The uppermost level for estimate CAPE and other thermodynamic indices is
taken (automatically) from the sounding you feed it. The Fortran program
for read the sounding is available and feel free to edit it to suite
your data format.

Attached is a sample plot made by feeding the U. Wyoming provided text
sounding file.

Finally, because it was a rather old script, higher versions of GrADS
use the math_sin() functions may not work properly. My suggestion will
be look through the code and add a "math_" to them! For functions not
supported (e.g., in the defines), just define your own version. If so,
just consult me and I will spend my spare time to help.

Let me know if you need the tool.

Diandong Ren, PhD
OU/SoM