responsible person for code contribution to GrADS

Eric Altshuler ela at COLA.IGES.ORG
Fri Jul 27 13:45:42 EDT 2007

Dear Gudrun,

What kind of rotated lat-lon grid are you using? If it is the same as the one used in the NCEP Eta model, then grads has built-in support for it (the "eta.u" projection). The structure of the pdef statement is:

pdef isize jsize eta.u lonref latref dlon dlat

See the documentation at http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/pdef.html.

In the Eta rotated lat-lon grid, the model grid's prime meridian (0 deg longitude) coincides with the meridian that passes through the domain center (lonref), while the model grid's equator (0 deg latitude) also passes through the domain center (latref). Thus, the model grid's (0 deg lon, 0 deg lat) point coincides with the domain center point (lonref, latref).

If your data is on a different type of rotated lat-lon grid, then you'll need to use the "bilin" option to pdef. This is more complicated and it's also explained in the pdef documentation.

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705-3106
USA

E-mail: ela at cola.iges.org