NAM Hourly Grib Files

Walsh, Brian J brian.walsh at AMEC.COM
Wed Jul 18 11:26:22 EDT 2007

Hello,

I have a question about 12 km NAM hourly grib files from NCEP.  When I
download all hourly interval files out to 36 hours, there is a problem
with the total precipitation amounts (APCPsfc) contained in these files.
The amounts are coded differently in these files than most WMO standard
grib files.  I am attaching the wgrib output for the concatenated grib
file (hours 0-36).  As you can see, there are multiple outputs for
amounts for certain time steps (6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 21, 30, 33 and 36
hours).  For instance, for the 24 hour time step, there is an APCPsfc
variable for amounts from 12 to 24 hours, then another one showing
amounts from 21 to 24 hours.  How does grib2ctl.pl and GrADS
differentiate these values?

Any help would be appreciated.

The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
If you are not an intended recipient you must not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents.
If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete and destroy the message.