polar stereographic plot

Jennifer M. Adams jma at COLA.IGES.ORG
Tue Jan 16 10:54:29 EST 2007

On Jan 16, 2007, at 10:10 AM, Henrique Barbosa wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to plot geopotential height anomalies in
> a polar stereographic projection.... but when I do:
>
> 'set mproj nps'
> 'draw hgeo'
>
> I get the correct plot, but without axis and
> labels. Moreover, although the plot has a circular
> shape, grads draws a rectangular plot boundary.
>
> Is it possible to draw the longitude labels and
> a circular boundary around a polar plot?
The circular boundary is done with 'set frame circle'. To draw grid
lines on a non-lat-lon projection, you have to contour the internal
variables 'lat' and 'lon' as if you were drawing data variables. All
the usual contour control settings apply. Here's something I use for
COLA's weather maps:

* inside the main script you call it like this:
gridlines(10,5)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* Draws grid lines at specified intervals
function gridlines(lonincr,latincr)
'set rgb 97 150 150 150'
'set gxout contour'
'set ccolor 97'