Problems reading NetCDF files

Earnshaw Paul paul.earnshaw at METOFFICE.GOV.UK
Tue Feb 20 05:35:53 EST 2007

Hi all,

Just a quick query related to reading NetCDF files. I have attached two
(small) files to this message to illustrate the point I am making. When
I open the two files I get following response from GrADS.

Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 1.9b4
Copyright (c) 1988-2005 by Brian Doty and IGES
Institute for Global Environment and Society (IGES)
GrADS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
See file COPYRIGHT for more information

Config: v1.9b4 32-bit little-endian readline sdf/xdf netcdf lats athena
printim

Issue 'q config' command for more information.

GX Package Initialization: Size = 11 8.5
ga-> sdfopen test_1.nc
Scanning self-describing file:  test_1.nc
SDF file test_1.nc is open as file 1
LON set to 1 1
LAT set to 1 1
LEV set to 97231.4 97231.4
Time values set: 1997:6:23:0 1997:6:23:0
ga-> sdfopen test_2.nc
Scanning self-describing file:  test_2.nc
Error parsing time units in SDF file.
ga->

Now, as far as I can tell there is only one difference between the two
files. The units attribute for the dimension "pres" in test_1.nc is "Pa"
and in test_2.nc is "pa".

Should this difference really prevent GrADS from being able to read the
file and get the error message above?

Cheers,
Paul