Internal variable "lev" undefined

Goodson,Ron [Edm] Ron.Goodson at EC.GC.CA
Thu Dec 13 13:43:33 EST 2007

Hi

Sorry if the answer to this already exists .. but I couldn't find it.

I have a grib data file using pressure levels in a fairly standard way.

When I do a "d lev", sometimes I get it reported as a constant value (at
whatever level I'm at through "set lev 500", for example) - which is
what I would expect ... and then .. sometimes I get "Cannot Contour grid
- all undefined values".  Everything else is fine .. I can change levels
and properly display data on those levels.  It is just the internal
GrADS variable "lev" that seems to get lost for display

Even stranger

Even if  -d lev- does work using grads interactively ... using the same
command in a script (a single line script that contains just 'd lev')
does not work.  Eg .. suppose I have a script called junk.gs containing
the single line 'd lev'.

Enter from keyboard     d lev           may get back constant value (or
may not)
Enter from keyboard     junk.gs         will get back all undefined
values, even if 'd lev' from keyboard worked.

I'm stumped - and this is causing grief as it means I can't use "lev" in
my script calculations.

Anybody got any guesses

Tks

Ron Goodson     (grads 1.94b on RedHat Workstation)