Does Grads support 5D data?

Wenli Yang wyang1 at GMU.EDU
Mon Dec 10 12:19:34 EST 2007

Hello,

Does Grads support 5D data?  I saw Jennifer and some other people were discussing 5D data in grads about a year ago (http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2006/001207.html).

We produced some 5D data in CF-netCDF in the following dimension order: Orbit * Time * Pressure * Latitude * Longitude
where the orbit dimension records number of satellite orbits the data may contain, ranging from 1 to 14, and Time and Pressure are mostly just one, such as the following: 10 * 1 * 1 * 180 * 360.
We correctly named T/Z/Y/X for the last for dimensions and didn't set the "axis" attribute to the first "orbit" dimension.  We seem not be able to display such data in Grads.  I am not sure if it's our data problem or Grads still does not support 5D.

A more general question is perhaps: does Grads support high dimensional data in the following form:
  D1 * D2 * ... Dn * T * Z * Y * X

I use HDFview to display multidimensional HDF data.  HDFView allows users to specify which dimension is horizontal, vertical, etc.  Can this also be done in Grads?

Many Thanks,

Wenli Yang