Averging Data by Keeping some region

Jayakrishnan PR prjayakrishnan at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 6 01:54:54 EST 2007

*I have just now checked whether is it possible by using my uwind data. It
is possible by first taking the area average of the whole region you
specifies, and then substracting it with the region you want to exclude. I
am here gives the codes which I used to do the same for your verification.
You can go through this and make a gs file according to that and run.

Simply
define a=aave(value,lon=60,lon=100,lat=5,lat=35)
define a2=aave(value,lon=80,lon=90,lat=15,lat=20)
define s=a-a2
d s,

this will give what you are expecting, I think..... May I know where you are
working..?
with best wishes...
*

jkpr at jkpr-desktop:~$ gradsnc

Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 1.9b4
Copyright (c) 1988-2005 by Brian Doty and IGES
Institute for Global Environment and Society (IGES)
GrADS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
See file COPYRIGHT for more information

Config: v1.9b4 32-bit little-endian readline sdf/xdf netcdf lats athena
printim

Issue 'q config' command for more information.

Landscape mode? (no for portrait):
GX Package Initialization: Size = 11 8.5
ga-> open uwnd.2000.nc
Scanning description file:  uwnd.2000.nc
Open Error:  Unknown keyword in description file
  --> The invalid description file record is:
  --> CDF
  The data file was not opened.
ga-> sdfopen uwnd.2000.nc
Scanning self-describing file:  uwnd.2000.nc
SDF file uwnd.2000.nc is open as file 1
LON set to 0 360
LAT set to -90 90
LEV set to 1000 1000
Time values set: 2000:1:1:0 2000:1:1:0
ga-> q file
File 1 : mean daily NMC reanalysis (2000)
  Descriptor: uwnd.2000.nc
  Binary: uwnd.2000.nc
  Type = Gridded
  Xsize = 144  Ysize = 73  Zsize = 17  Tsize = 366
  Number of Variables = 1
    uwnd 17 -999 mean Daily U-wind
ga-> set lat 5 35
LAT set to 5 35
ga-> set lon 60 100
LON set to 60 100
ga-> d u
Syntax Error:  Invalid Operand
  'u' not a variable or function name
  Error ocurred at column 1
DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
  Expression = u
ga-> d uwnd
Contouring: -8 to 8 interval 2
ga-> d uwnd
Contouring: -8 to 8 interval 2
ga-> d uwnd
Contouring: -8 to 8 interval 2
ga-> define a=aave(uwnd,lon=60,lon=100,lat=5,lat=35)
Define memory allocation size = 4 bytes
ga-> c
ga-> d a
Result value = -2.72067
ga-> define a2=aave(uwnd,lon=80,lon=90,lat=15,lat=20)
Define memory allocation size = 4 bytes
ga-> d a2
Result value = -4.23691
ga-> define s=a-a2