Plotting of Modis satellite data in HDF format using grads

Jayakrishnan PR prjayakrishnan at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 3 11:05:19 EST 2007

*I am having a MODIS satellite data for Indian region in HDF format.  As
Moctar have suggested I have tried to plot my hdf Modis data directly by
using gradshdf. For that I have written a Data descriptor file like this ..*

DSET ^MAM07S0.A2007003.1725.002.2007004212828.hdf
TITLE This is only a test
DTYPE HDFSDS
*OPTIONS YREV
UNDEF -32768
XDEF XDim:mod07 406 LINEAR 60 0.1
YDEF YDim:mod07 41 LINEAR  0 0.1
*TDEF TIME4DIMS:DAOgrid 1 LINEAR 0Z31JUL1993 6HR
VARS 1
Lifted Index=>LI 1 99 Li
ENDVARS

  *  I want to plot the parameter named Lifted Index, using grads for the
satellite pass.
But by running the DDF I was disappointed. It is not working. The message
was could not ingest SDF file. The out put from grads is  as following.....*

jkpr at jkpr-desktop:~/Desktop$ gradshdf

Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 1.9b4
Copyright (c) 1988-2005 by Brian Doty and IGES
Institute for Global Environment and Society (IGES)
GrADS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
See file COPYRIGHT for more information

Config: v1.9b4 32-bit little-endian readline sdf/xdf hdf-sds netcdf lats
athena printim

Issue 'q config' command for more information.

Landscape mode? (no for portrait):
GX Package Initialization: Size = 11 8.5

ga-> open MOD08_M3.005.timeAverage
Scanning description file:  MOD08_M3.005.timeAverage
Open Error:  Missing or invalid dimension size.
  --> The invalid description file record is:
  --> XDEF XDim:mod07 406 LINEAR 60 0.1

  The data file was not opened.
ga->

*I am herewith attaches the hdf file for which I want to plot the data. Can
anyone help me to write a data descriptor file which will be suitable for
plotting the Lifted Index, Total Totals Index, K Index, etc, using the HDF
data ??. My ultimate aim is to plot these parameters using gradshdf. Any
help in this regard is much appreciated.*

Awaiting your most valuable responses
Jayakrishnan.P.R