Alternatives to cnvgrib for GRADS

Dave Novak novak at ACCUWX.COM
Sun Dec 2 18:19:09 EST 2007

Brian,

use "all" instead of one in your command line call

>/degrib/bin/degrib "GRIB file" -C -msg all -Flt
>/degrib/bin/degrib "GRIB file" -C -msg all -Flt -Interp -GrADS
>/degrib/bin/degrib "GRIB file" -C -msg all -Flt -GrADS

The 'msg' tag tells the software which record to decode. The number, 1 in
your case, said just decode the first record.

There is a full page of documentation on the commands at

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/mdl/NDFD_GRIB2Decoder/txtview.php?
file=degrib.txt&dir=base

I have had issues with degrib when using it with GFS, NAM and other files
with lots of records. I was not able to get all the information in the
GRIB2 file decoded. I do not know if that issue has been resolved with
later upgrades.

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 18:32:42 -0000, Brian Gaze <brian.gaze at NTLWORLD.COM>
wrote:

>I'm trying to use degrib. Everything 'works' ok and the files and the
GrADS
>datafiles are created, but the .ctl only contains one variable. This is
>despite the fact that I have download the complete (~46mb) GRIB2 file.
>
>The commands I'm running to convert are:
>
>/degrib/bin/degrib "GRIB file" -C -msg 1 -Flt
>/degrib/bin/degrib "GRIB file" -C -msg 1 -Flt -Interp -GrADS
>/degrib/bin/degrib "GRIB file" -C -msg 1 -Flt -GrADS
>
>The .ctl file created contains the following information showing only 1
>variable instead of the full set which I would expect to see. Any ideas
what
>is causing this to happen?
>

>DSET ^HGT_12061200.flt
>OPTIONS big_endian
>OPTIONS yrev
>UNDEF 9999.000000
>TITLE GrADS control file based on GRIB2 file.
>XDEF 720 LINEAR 0.000000 0.500000
>YDEF 361 LINEAR 90.000000 0.500000
>ZDEF 1 LINEAR 0 1
>TDEF 1 LINEAR 12:00Z02Dec2007 1MN