MODIS HDF

Jayakrishnan PR prjayakrishnan at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 1 05:45:19 EST 2007

I can plot MODIS level 2 HDF data in Grads. This is employed by assuming the
points in the pass of satellite as station data.

On Nov 30, 2007 10:59 PM, Mike Bosilovich <mike.bosilovich at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> If you could, you may need to be more specific about the MODIS data you
> are using. I haven't been able to get MODIS L2 data into grads directly, but
> MODIS L3 data can be read into grads, with the right xdf file
>
> Below are two examples, the first opens MODIS MOD11C1 data (Land surface
> Temperature, daily 0.05 degree grid), and the second opens MOD08(Monthly 1
> degree atmospheric water vapor) the grads call to "open" opens these data.
>
> I've used HDFLook to dump L2 granules to a binary that can be opened in
> Grads, but that is rather tedious. There are probably better ways for L2.
>
> Mike
>
> DSET MOD11/data/Y2004/M%m2/MOD11C1.A2004%m2%d2.004.hdf
> title MODIS Land Surface Temperature (LST) CMG v4
> DTYPE hdfsds
> OPTIONS yrev template
> unpack scale_factor add_offset
> undef -999.0
> XDEF 7200 linear -180 0.05
> YDEF 3600 linear  -90 0.05
> ZDEF 1 linear 1 1
> TDEF 31  linear 01JUL2004 1dy
> VARS 6
> LST_Day_CMG=>LSTDay 0 y,x Daily daytime 3min CMG Land-surface Temp
> LST_Night_CMG=>LSTNite 0 y,x Daily nighttime 3min CMG Land-surface Temp
> QC_Day=>QCDay  0 y,x Quality control for daytime LST and emissivity
> QC_Night=>QCNite  0 y,x Quality control for nighttime LST and emissivity
> Day_view_time=>DayTime  0 y,x Time of daytime LST observation (UTC)
> Night_view_time=>NiteTime  0 y,x Time of nighttime LST observation (UTC)
> ENDVARS

> DSET MOD08/MOD08_M3.A%y4%m2.004.hdf
> dtype hdfsds
> title MODIS MOD08 Atmosphere monthly 1 degree CMG
> UNDEF 0 _FillValue
> unpack scale_factor add_offset
> OPTIONS yrev template
> XDEF 360 linear -180 1.00
> YDEF 180 linear  -90 1.00
> ZDEF 1 linear 1 1
> TDEF 75 linear 01MAY2000 1mo
> VARS 1
> Atmospheric_Water_Vapor_Mean_Mean=>tcwcm 0 y,x Total Column Precipitable
> Water V
> apor -- IR Retrieval: Mean of Daily Mean
> ENDVARS
>

> > From: Jayakrishnan PR <prjayakrishnan at gmail.com>
> > Date: Nov 30, 2007 11:46 AM
> > Subject: Re: MODIS HDF
> > To: GRADSUSR at list.cineca.it
> >

> > Dear Mr.Jean,
> >        Last six months I was trying to plot MODIS data in Grads.
> > Today I succeeded with the help of grads user group and some of my
> > friends. There is two ways to plot the MODIS HDF data.
> > 1) Firstly convert the hdf data into ascii form using any software
> > such as ENVI, HDF explorer, etc.
> > 2) Using the ascii code we are able to know the latitude, longitude
> > and the parameter at different heights.
> > 3) Construct a fortran program which will convert this data into
> > station format and I have also written a c program which will convert
> > the out put of fortran into station data format.
> [...]

Jayakrishnan.P.R
Junior Research Fellow
Department of Atmospheric Sciences
Cochin University of Science And Technology (CUSAT), Cochin-16
Kerala, India.
Mob: 09895417565