grads does not recognize undefineds in netcdf file

Geert Jan van Oldenborgh oldenbor at KNMI.NL
Tue Aug 7 04:43:19 EDT 2007

Does anyone know why GrADS does not recognize the undefined value in the
attacjed netcdf file (from the ECMWF data server)?  If I do a 'q
ctlinfo' it is right there, and when I make a .ctl file with dset the
netcdf file and an explicit undef 1.7e38 it works, but without that
grads just plots 1.7e38 values.

More importantly, does anybody have a workaround that does not involve
xdfopen, so that the Climate Explorer (http://climexp.knmi.nl) can plot
this kind of data?

Greetings from rainy Holland,

        Geert Jan van Oldenborgh