Plotting gridded binary data

Brad Navarro brad.navarro at WNI.COM
Wed Apr 18 12:11:35 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I have a simple binary data file that is gridded globally from x=1,360
and y= -90,90 (with spacing every 1 degree). There is only one variable,
one level and one time. My control file looks like this:

DSET  /home/bradn/WINDVERIF/comparing.dat

TITLE  Qscat and GFS 10m wind comparison

UNDEF  -0.9999E4

XDEF 360 LINEAR 1 1

YDEF 181 LINEAR -90 1

ZDEF 1 LEVELS 1 1

TDEF 1 LINEAR 12Z12APR07 3hr

VARS 1

diff 0 99 GFS-Qscat

ENDVARS

When I plot the data in GrADS, the data is not plotted correctly. It
appears that the proper values are not being assigned to the proper
latitude and longitudes. For reference, my binary file lists the
variable's values in a 360 x 181 array, such that longitude is
increasing with increasing row number, and latitude is increasing with
increasing column number.

I would be very appreciative if someone could help me solve this. I have
tested the plot using a fixed longitude of 1 degree and latitude of -90
to 90, and it appears to work. However, when I add a second longitude of
2 degrees, it appears GrADS isn't plotting correctly.

I am using Linux 2.4.9-e.40smp and GrADS version 1.9b4.

Thanks,

Brad