grads installation on Mac Pro (intel cpu).

Eric Salathé salathe at WASHINGTON.EDU
Tue Apr 3 20:57:24 EDT 2007

On 4/3/07 12:36 PM, "Wang, Yi" <yi.wang at PNL.GOV> wrote:
> Hi There:
>
>    I have issues to install grads with my Mac Pro desktop (intel CPU).
>
> GX Package Initialization: Size = 8.5 11
> _X11TransSocketINETConnect() can't get address for 0:6000: No address
> associated with nodename
> Error in GXSTRT: Unable to connect to X server
>
> Any clues? Do you know anything wrong?
>
> I run "gradsc" from my terminal window, not the X11 windows.

Hi-

This is an X11 issue.

The GrADs 1.9b4 binary from download page should work <http://
www.iges.org/grads/downloads.html>. Is this what you are using?

Do any other X-windows programs work? What does "xeyes" return? What
does "echo $DISPLAY" return?

By the way, you can start X-windows applications either from an xterm
(what I assume folks mean by starting from X11) or from the
Terminal.app; I vastly prefer the Terminal.app. To use Terminal, you
need to set the DISPLAY environment in your .login In tcsh, put this
in .login:

if ( $?REMOTEHOST == 0 && $?TERM_PROGRAM == 1) setenv DISPLAY :0.0

For bash, you need something like "export DISPLAY=:0.0" in .bashrc
Then take xterm out of .xinitrc and never see the ugly thing again.

-Eric

--
Eric Salathé
CSES Climate Impacts Group