Printing specific numerical values in the graphics window

Charles Seman Charles.Seman at NOAA.GOV
Tue Sep 5 16:29:12 EDT 2006

Jim,

Here is some code that I hope will be of some use (the idea is to plot
the 50m temperature in the lower-left part of the frame, half-way
between the bottom of the plot area and the bottom of the virtual
page)...  The code below has not been tested (parts have been adapted
from scripts in which similar techniques have been used...):

pvar_vpage = '0 11 0   8.5'
pvar_parea = '1 10 1.5 6.5'
*
*  (xt,yt) is the point at which the character string containing the 50m
temperature will be plotted (see below)...
*
xl = subwrd(pvar_parea,1)
yb_parea = subwrd(pvar_parea,3) ; yb_virtual = subwrd(pvar_vpage,3)
xt = xl ; yt = (yb_parea-yb_virtual)/2   * note, yb_virtual = 0 here...
xx = 1 ; yy = 1 ; tt = 1   * specify point for temperature
'set x 'xx
'set y 'yy
'set z 1'
'set t 'tt
'd temp' ; rec = sublin(result,1); temp_value = subwrd(rec,4)
'set string 1 l 4'   * string is "left-justified"
http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/gradcomdsetstring.html
'set strsiz 0.1'
temp_format = math_format('%6.2f',temp_value)    *
http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/mathfunctions.html
'draw string 'xt' 'yt' 50m Temperature at (x,y,t) = ('xx','yy','tt') =
'temp_format

Feel free to ask questions about above code...

I hope this helps,
Chuck

--

Please note that Charles.Seman at noaa.gov should be considered my NOAA
email address, not cjs at gfdl.noaa.gov.

 Charles Seman                                Charles.Seman at noaa.gov
 U.S. Department of Commerce / NOAA / OAR
 Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory         voice: (609) 452-6547
 201 Forrestal Road                              fax: (609) 987-5063
 Princeton, NJ  08540-6649            http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/~cjs/