eofudf fatal error

Matthias Munnich munnich at ATMOS.UCLA.EDU
Mon Oct 30 20:49:31 EST 2006

Most likely you did not choose the right "resz" parameter setting in
the eofudf source,
see the remark at the bottom of
http://www.atmos.ucla.edu/~munnich/grads/EOF/.
The correct setting depends on the compiler you are using.  For 32bit
OS it is either
1 or 4, so try  the other value.  If successful, let me know which
Fortran compiler
and resz you needed to  use.

... Matt

Mike wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am running grads Version 1.9b4 on a linux PC
>
> I recently compiled the eofgrads udf found here:
>
> http://www.atmos.ucla.edu/~munnich/grads/EOF/
>
> added all the necessary info to my udf table:
>
> eofudf 2 6 expr value value value value char sequential
> /usr/local/grads/udf/eof/eofudf eofudf.in eofudf.out
>
> when i run the command:
>
> ga-> eof prmslmsl (where prmslmsl is the slp field in my grib file,
> and t is set from 1 to last)
>
> I get the following error:
>

> Writing data to transfer file... Executing eofudf binary ...
>
> EOFUDF Version 0.152 Fatal ERROR in eofudf: (Error No.           -2
> ). Error reading 1st record from transfer. 1 Error from eofudf:
> Invalid transfer file format File name: eofudf.out Operation Error:
> Error from eofudf function Error ocurred at column 1 DISPLAY error:
> Invalid expression Expression =
> eofudf(prmslmsl,21,12,-1,70,prmslm_) eof.gs: First call of eofudf
> returned Error. STOP
>

> Here's a listing of the files created in this directory:
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 user group     88 Oct 30 19:26 eofudf.out -rw-r--r-- 1
> user group  31948 Oct 30 19:26 eofudf.in -rw-r--r-- 1 user group
> 646884 Oct 30 19:26 eof_in.gad
>
> So I have write permission in this directory, but the eofudf.out
> file isn't being written correctly/completely? I added the
> directory containing the libcxa file to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, is there
> anything else that might cause this error?
>
> Also it prints out that it's version 0.152...is this just a mistake
> in the source code, or is version 0.155 not the one in the source
> tar on the page?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike

- --
Matthias Munnich
Univ. of California, Los Angeles
Inst. of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
3845 Slichter Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1567
Phone: +1-310-794 5899
Fax: +1-310-206 3051