Grads on Slackware 11 - segmentation faults

Jean Pierre Arabonis arabonis at EGS.UCT.AC.ZA
Wed Oct 18 11:46:43 EDT 2006

Thanks Patrice for the suggestions, I tried your tarball without
success, same errors came up as before.

I have brought across the following:

grads-1.9b3-src.tar.gz
grads-1.9b3-supplibs-linuxRH9.tar.gz

put them in a directory and tried:

 >./configure --with-dods
--libdir=/data/source/Grads19b3work/grads-1.9b3/supplibs/lib

and I have success with everything in order, then all falls over when I
try make:

 >make

arabonis at baltic:/data/source/Grads19b3work/grads-1.9b3> make
Making all in src
make[1]: Entering directory `/data/source/Grads19b3work/grads-1.9b3/src'
make  all-am
make[2]: Entering directory `/data/source/Grads19b3work/grads-1.9b3/src'
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I.././supplibs/include
-I/usr/X11R6/include    -g -O -c `test -f 'gxdxwd.c' || echo './'`gxdxwd.c
gxdxwd.c:25: error: conflicting types for 'calloc'
gxdxwd.c:25: error: conflicting types for 'calloc'
make[2]: *** [gxdxwd.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/data/source/Grads19b3work/grads-1.9b3/src'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/data/source/Grads19b3work/grads-1.9b3/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

This is now well over my head, anyone out there can tell me what is
going on and if/how to solve it.

On the side track I tried the fedora core 1.8 compilation again through
gdb, maybe someone can tell me what is going on as it seems to be the
common problem with all the versions of grads:

arabonis at baltic:/data/source/Gradsfedoracore> gdb --quiet gradsdods
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
(gdb) run
Starting program: /data/source/Gradsfedoracore/gradsdods
warning: Cannot initialize thread debugging library: unknown thread_db
error '22'

Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 1.8SL11
Copyright (c) 1988-2001 by Brian Doty
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
Institute for Global Environment and Society
All Rights Reserved

Config: v1.8SL11 32-bit little-endian readline sdf/xdf netcdf
DODS-enabled lats printim

Issue 'q config' command for more information.

Landscape mode? (no for portrait):  p
GX Package Initialization: Size = 11 8.5
ga-> sdfopen http://monsoondata.org:9090/dods/gfs/gfs.2006101800i
Scanning self-describing file:
http://monsoondata.org:9090/dods/gfs/gfs.2006101800i

0x083a16e5 in get_cie_encoding ()