To calculate direction with Uwind and Vwind

NASER SARHAN meet100 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Oct 7 18:52:10 EDT 2006

Dear MacLeod and Jeremy,
  Why you did not use this formula
  'set gxout barb'
  'd u;v'                                  or
  'd u;v; mag (u,v)'
  Many Thanks
  Naser

Mac MacLeod <mmacleod at SCOTIAWEATHER.COM> wrote:
  Hi Jeremy

Following is a formulation provided me by Dr. Brian Doty to calculate wind
direction and speed utililizing the u component and the v component of the
wind at any level.

This particular code piece is from a script that calcualtes the 10 metre
wind output values for selected points from the GFS.

****** Calculate the 10 metre AGL wind direction and speed
************************************

'define spd10 = mag(u10,v10) '

'display spd10 '

WndSpd10 = subwrd(result,4)

WndSpd10 = math_format(fmt,WndSpd10)

'define d1 = -atan2(u10,-v10)*180/3.1416'

'define d2 = const(maskout(d1,d1),0,-u)'

'define d3 = const(360+maskout(d1,-d2),0,-u)'

'define dir10 = d2+d3'

'display dir10'

Wnddir10 = subwrd(result,4)

If (Wnddir10 < 1)

Wnddir10 = math_nint(360.0)

ELSE

Wnddir10 = math_format(fmt,Wnddir10)

ENDIF

The WndSpd10 = subwrd(result,4) then WndSpd10 = math_format(fmt,WndSpd10)
and the section:

Wnddir10 = subwrd(result,4)
If (Wnddir10 < 1)

Wnddir10 = math_nint(360.0)

ELSE

Wnddir10 = math_format(fmt,Wnddir10)

ENDIF

permit me to print out these values as integers.

All the best with this.

Regards,

Mac MacLeod

M.A.(Mac) MacLeod