Could not retrieve add offset

Don Hooper hoop at COLORADO.EDU
Fri May 19 03:03:08 EDT 2006

I am absolutely flummoxed.  I go to all kinds of effort to create
NetCDF files with sufficient metadata, and to teach GrADS how to
*automatically* (I.E., without a Data Descriptor File (DDF),
'dtype netcdf' or otherwise), via the sdfopen command.  And yet
people keep trying to write DDFs that require version 1.9 to
read files that could be read without any back in version 1.6beta4.
The mind boggles.  And experts at COLA abet this foolish enterprise.
I just don't this *insistence* on doing things the hard way.  I
really don't.  Just say:
sdfopen /home/pfwillis/2006/Grads/circulation/Climate/data/slp_daily.1999.nc /home/pfwillis/2006/Grads/circulation/Climate/data/slp_daily.%y4.nc 731

and go to work with the data.  No fuss, no muss.  Don't work so hard,
folks; I did the hard work for you years ago.  Reap the benefits of
my sweat, will you?  Please.

-Hoop