contour plot for diff latitudinal belts

Suvarna Fadnavis suvarna at TROPMET.RES.IN
Tue Jun 27 15:03:35 EDT 2006

Dear Dr. ARINDAM CHAKRABORTY,
   Thank you for your help in plotting contour in proper oredr( x,y, z and t).
          with best regards
               Suvarna
On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 22:17:34 -0400, Arindam Chakraborty wrote
> hi Suvarna,
>         when grads reads a data file, (by default) the different
> dimensions are read in this order: x, y, z, variable, t;
> Means x (longitude) varies fastest, and then y (latitude) and so on.
> (Although there can be variations of this, see
> http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/descriptorfile.html#VARS for
> 'non-standard binaries' for details. But for your control file the
> standard rule applies).
>         Now, one of your control files has y and z, for which first 8
> data values in the file will be read as different latitudes at the
> first level, and so on. For another control file, which has z and t,
> the first 12 data values will be taken as different levels at the
> first latitude (alias time here), and so on for the rest of
> the data. This is the reason you get different results for those two
> control files.
>         How to write the control file is dependent on how you've
> written down the data file. It is always a good idea to write the data
> in the default order of grads if you plan to use it in grads later on.
> In your case, you need to write y as the faster varying dimension
> than z in your output data file. Then use the control file which has y
> and z.
>         Please also set the lat levels as 35, 25, ..., 5, -5, ..., 35
> (the centers of the bands of average), that's a better way of
> representation.
>
> ----------------------------
>  ARINDAM CHAKRABORTY
>  Department of Meteorology
>  Florida State University
>  Tallahassee, FL-32306, USA
>  Tel: +001-850-6443524 (Off)
>       +001-850-5758550 (Res)
>  Fax: +001-850-6449642
> ____________________________
>
> On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, Suvarna Fadnavis wrote:
>
> > Dear Dr. Chakraborty,
> >            I am trying to plot (Contor) QBO values obtaied at 8 latitudinal belts
(40-
> > 30, 30-20, 20-10, 0-10 10-0 10-20, 20-30, 30-40). I want to plot QBO values by
taking
> > x axis as latitude and y axais as pressure levels. I tried to plot it by taking
> > (1) x-axis as time (t=8) and y -axis as pressure
> > (2) x-axis as latitude and y -axis as pressure by defining ydef 8 levels -40 -30 -
20 -
> > 10  10 20 30 40
> >             I should get the same structure but I get two different structure.
Please
> > guide me which is correct and what is the reason for difference. I am attaching ctl
and
> > gs and data file for your kinf perusal.
> >             suvarna

With best regards
 Suvarna Fadanvis
Scientist –B
Indian Institute Of Tropical Meteorology
DR. Homi Bhabha road, Pashan, Pune, India
Ph. No 25893600