Area surrounded by the specific contour

Eric DeWeaver deweaver at AOS.WISC.EDU
Sun Jun 25 15:52:19 EDT 2006

Hi Jinho,

One way is to use the maskout function.  Let's say you want
the average value of specific humidity (spfh) for the area
enclosed by the 275K contour of 850mb temperature (T850).
Assuming you want spfh for points with T850 > 275K, you would
put

'spav = aave(maskout(spfh,T850-275),lon=0,lon=360,lat=0,lat=90)'

The maskout function sets spfh to missing for all points where
T850 - 275 < 0.  This example assumes you only want the average
for the northern hemisphere.

Best Wishes,

Eric