New GRADS user with ECMWF ERA40 data. Help!!!!

Stephen R McMillan smcmillan at PLANALYTICS.COM
Mon Jun 12 14:57:03 EDT 2006

Jason,
You might also check this out:
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/wesley/grib2ctl.html.

Good luck,
Stephen McMillan
Planalytics, Inc.

Jason Patla <patla at HAWAII.EDU>
Sent by: GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT
06/09/2006 08:25 PM
Please respond to
GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT

GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT
cc

Subject
New GRADS user with ECMWF ERA40 data. Help!!!!

Hi Grads Users,
I am VERY new to programming, data manipulation and generally just
starting my research.  I currently only have access to a somewhat high-end
laptop PC and hoped to use ECMWF (ERA40) data (grib format files at nearly
1.5GB for a months data) on GRADS.
These may be dangerous questions to ask (already tried searching archive)
and I apologize in advance if I've just dumbed-down this forum,  but here
goes:

1. Is there a simple, straight-forward way to display this data on GRADS
(like NCEP's .NC data on GRADSNC)?

2. Can handling the data be accomplished on a laptop (Windows Pro) alone
or is it easier to just "acquire" a workstation and learn the UNIX
environment to press ahead?

3. Are there any other suggestions considering my circumstances?  This may
include "don't use grib format, go to NCEP's .NC format" or something
along those lines.  (ha!)

Again, please excuse my entry level questions, but we've all got to start
somewhere.  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.  :)
Sincerely,
Jay

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or proprietary
to Planalytics, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliated companies.  This
message may be an attorney-client communication and as such is privileged
and confidential.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in
error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication
in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, and delete the