GFS Ensemble high resolution in Nomad5

bernd.becker at METOFFICE.GOV.UK bernd.becker at METOFFICE.GOV.UK
Mon Jul 31 12:03:09 EDT 2006

The ensemble members describe the same forecast period
on the same planet, are therefore identical in their intention.
But each member underwent slight perturbations of the initial state of
the forecast. The spread in the ensemble, the differences between each
member, give an indication of the uncertainty in:

-weather prediction
-model skill.

The art for you is to figure, how to present the ensemble results
as an expression of the points above. The price goes to those
who foresee which part of the ensemble adds to the error of the forecast
and to those who interpret the ensemble to the best effect.

Good Luck!