also problem: grid undefined

Thomas Spengler thomas.spengler at ENV.ETHZ.CH
Tue Feb 21 04:18:56 EST 2006

Dear all,

I am experiencing very similar problems as Marco.

I would like to plot a ECMWF forecast with GrADS, but once the forecast
step of the file is larger than 9 hours, i.e. two-digit, I get the same
GrADS message like Marco.

Entire Grid undefined

For steps smaller than 10 hours GrADS works fine!

I proceed as follows:
grib2ctl.pl file.grib > file.ctl
which produces the corresponding control file to my grib file
and then:
gribmap -e -i file.ctl
which writes out:
gribmap:  Scanning binary GRIB file(s):
gribmap:  Opening GRIB file file.grib
gribmap:  Reached EOF
gribmap:  Writing the map...
which produces file.idx.

But I still get an entirely undefined grid when trying to plot the
variables.

Would be great if you could help me out here.

Thanks so much in advance!

Cheers,
Thomas