Lilliputian numbers

Ben Burford benb at RESTEC.OR.JP
Fri Feb 10 03:22:38 EST 2006

Hello All,

I want to see individual data values in gridded data sets.  I used the
function:
set gxout grid
d data

On the display screen I get grid boxes with tiny little (Lilliputian size)
numbers in them that are too small to read.  If I narrow the lat/lon so
that the grid boxes appear large on the screen, the numbers are still tiny
and too small to read, or, in some cases I don’t see numbers at all.  Can
someone tell me how to force the numbers to a larger (readable) size?

Also, is there a way I can list values in the command line window?  If I
narrow to a single grid box, at a single time, then d will give me that
one value.  Is there a way to get a listing of rows and columns of numbers
in the command line window?  As a last resort, is there a way to import
the grid of values as ascii (rows and columns) into an editor (Msword?) or
a spreadsheet (Excel) to look at them (I'm using Grads in Windows)?

Also, one other very basic question.  I have a global dataset that I can
view successfully:
set gxout contour (or grfill, or shaded)
d data

But if I subset the data, e.g.:
set lat 9 11
set lon -69 -66
d data
I get a message “Cannot contour grid – all undefined values”
Can you tell me what I’m doing wrong?

And finally, the comment for lats4d.gs in the grads script library says:
Writes NetCDF, HDF-SDS or GRIB files from GrADS. See additional
documentation.
But if I click on the word "documentation" I get a “web address no longer
correct” error.  Can you tell me where to find/see the lat4d.gs
documentation?

As always, thanks very much for your help,

Ben