Can GrADS "animated time sequences" be captured to a file

Dave Allured dave.allured at NOAA.GOV
Wed Feb 8 22:59:38 EST 2006

Armelle's method is fine.  Here is more general info that I had typed
before Armelle's message appeared:

This has been discussed before.  For the archive, go the the Grads home
page, then into the users group page, and find the link there to the
archive.  It's a searchable archive, which can be quite handy at times.

Here is the overview to exporting an animation to a common format.  The
short answer is, IIRC, you can't do it directly.  Instead, make a
relatively simple Grads script that loops over each time step.  At each
step, render a single frame with the display command.  Then output it to
a file with printim or other command of your choice.  printim makes a
png or gif file.

You must concatenate a serial number to the output file name, so that
each frame's image file has a unique name.  Hint:  Use string
manipulation to keep leading zeros, like Armelle did, so that the next
step will reassemble the frames in the right order.

Outside of Grads, use an external utility such as Image Magic
("convert") to glom the individual frames into a movie format.  I have
successfully made animated gif's this way.  You could also assemble the
frames individually into a Power Point file.  There are probably other
ways; if anyone else knows another, feel free to chime in.

--Dave