theta cross-sections

zilore mumba zmumba at YAHOO.COM
Fri Dec 15 09:28:10 EST 2006

----- Original Message ----
From: John Papineau <John.Papineau at NOAA.GOV>
To: GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 9:07:22 PM
Subject: theta cross-sections

Greetings-
  I am attempting to display theta in either X-Z or X-Y
cross sections.  I tried the following but it got hung up
on "lev"

define pr=(1013.0/lev)
define prcalc=pow(pr,0.286)
define theta=tmpprs*prcalc

where "mpprs" is the temperature variable.
I also subsituted "Z" for "lev" and it still
did not work.

Any thoughts ???

Many Thanks- John
NWS, Anchorage

John,
Your formulation of theta computation i ok. When you open grads it set lon, lat over the whole domain but it sets lev to the lowest level and t to the initial time (t 1). To do you cross section first set t 1 10(or whatever is ur maximum t) and set lev 1000 100 (or whatever). Then define the variables. Next set t for the time of the cross section lon1, lon2 and lat or lon and lat1, lat2 for the section and the 'd theta'. This is like the way we compute for vorticity.
I tried your formulation and it works.
Zilore Mumba

http://new.mail.yahoo.com