please help me calculate the frequency

Mary Jo Nath Mary-Jo.Nath at NOAA.GOV
Thu Dec 14 16:53:33 EST 2006

Diana,

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do. But maybe this example
will help you figure a solution.
Ex:
Say you have a lat-lon grid, temp, which has 20*365 (=7300) days of
data, and you just want to sum up the number of days over that period at
each grid point when the temperature was > 300. You could do something like:

'define ndays = sum( maskout(temp/temp,temp-300.), t=1,t=7300)'

"sum" is a grads function which sums over the dimensions specified. In
this case, we sum over time. (Please see the grads documentation for
full explanation.)
ndays is a new lat-lon field created by adding the value of one
(="temp/temp") for each grid point and day over the period from t =1 to
t = 7300 whenever "temp-300" > 0.. (At whichever grid point and time
temp < 300,  maskout will set "temp/temp" = missing for that grid point
and time and not included it in the sum).

Does this help?
MJ