Grib data

Scot Lilly slilly at THESEUS-ENERGY.COM
Fri Aug 18 16:20:51 EDT 2006

My meteorologist and I are looking for two things.

1.)     We currently use a Linux virtual server to download the GFS
operational data off of the NOAA http server.  This data seems to be
somewhat quick in manner, however we find that sometimes it can get hung up
and even not work to some extent slowing down our time to analyze the data.
Are there any known locations and/or methodologies to get this data quicker
so that we can get the most current model runs.

2.)     We are trying to find some kind of consistent format for getting
hurricane model tracks so that we can feed it to Grads.  Our problem is that
we have tried to use the text file that comes from the NOAA and feed it into
a spreadsheet to create a csv-ascii output file.  However, the problem is
that the file format often changes requiring manual modifications to create
the proper output.  We are looking for any type of consistent sheet (that
does not change formats) and/or a grib file.  Any suggestions would be
extremely helpful.

We are open to any new ides for getting data in the most efficient and
timely manner, less spending thousands of dollars.

Thanks for your time and look forward to any and all comments.

Scot Lilly