GrADS don't open it's X-display Window over ssh tunnel :-(

alexander.beck-ratzka alexander.beck-ratzka at AEI.MPG.DE
Fri Aug 18 03:10:46 EDT 2006

Hello GrADS users,

I've a pretty unfine problem with GrADS. GrADS should be used on our
Linux-Cluster. On the cluster Fedora Core 4 is installed, with the kernel
2.6.15-1.1833. Therfore I've downloaded the package
GrADS1.8SL11.Fedora.tar.gz from ftp://grads.iges.org/grads/1.8.

Logging in to the cluster from my labtop with "ssh -X ..." enables me to use
X-applications on the remote host. Okay, if I going to the cluster like that,
the DISPLAY variable will be usually:

localhost:18.0

This is due to the ssh tunnel. If I want to start GrADS now, it fails with the
message:

_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't get address for localhost
Error in GXSTRT: Unable to connect to X server

I should mention here that it is no problem to run other X-applications, as
ddd, ghostview or an xterm. So I've the impression that GrADS cannot be used
in combination with ssh tunneling.

I hope that is only a problem of a wrong configuration. Does anyone know, how
to get rid of this problem?

Cheers

Alexander