template with %ch

Mateus Teixeira mtex2k3 at YAHOO.COM.BR
Wed Aug 16 10:17:27 EDT 2006

Dear GrADS users,

I'm trying to use the new template option %ch to open 3
NCEP/NCAR-Reanalysis files which contain the air temperature at 1000
hPa. Their names are: T1000_HS_1985_1990.nc; T1000_HS_1991_1995.nc; and
T1000_HS_1996_2003.nc.

Reading GrADS docs I saw an example to open netcdf files and made my
control file as follow:

DSET ^T1000_HS_%ch.nc
OPTIONS template
DTYPE netcdf
CHSUB     1   8764 1985_1990
CHSUB  8765  16068 1991_1995
CHSUB 16069  27756 1996_2003
UNDEF 32766
XDEF 144 linear   0 2.5
YDEF  37 linear -90 2.5
ZDEF   1 linear 1000 1
TDEF 27756 linear 00z01jan1985 4hr
VARS 1
air 1 99 Air Temperature
ENDVARS

However, when I tried to display this variable I got an error message:

NetCDF Read Error (ncvarget) for data type NC_SHORT
Data Request Error:  Error for variable 'air'
  Error ocurred at column 1
DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
  Expression = air

The variable name is the same of the netCDF files, but I think that I
missed something to GrADS gets properly the netCDF file.

Thanks in advance!

--
Mateus da Silva Teixeira
Doutorando em Meteorologia - CPTEC/INPE