segmentation fault while opening grads

Satyaban BishoyiRatna satya_atmos at REDIFFMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 1 23:50:41 EDT 2006

Hi Grads-user,
   Few days back it came to discussion about login one computer to another computer to operate grads using SSH. somebody advised to use protocol layer called X11 forwarding.
      can anybody tell me how to use this X11 for connecting to other machine to work with grads.
     Thanking you.
Regards
Satyaban

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 Dave Allured wrote :
>John, you did not say how you are connecting from one computer to
>another.  But I expect it is ssh, right?  If so, you probably need a
>protocol layer called X11 forwarding.  A plain ssh session does not have
>all the hooks needed by Grads to operate the separate graphics window.
>
>Either ask your system administration for help with X11 forwarding, or
>perhaps someone here more knowledgeable than I can explain the right way
>to set it up on linux.
>
>--Dave Allured
>CIRES Climate Diagnostics Center
>NOAA Earth Systems Research Laboratory, Physical Sciences Division
>
>John Guhin wrote:
>>Hi,
>>      I am trying to open grads in a linux computer (say name1), from
>>an another linux computer (say name2). When I am typing grads (in
>>name1, after logging in from name2) it is giving the following error ...
>>-----------------------------------------
>>Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 1.8SL11
>>Copyright (c) 1988-2001 by Brian Doty
>>Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
>>Institute for Global Environment and Society
>>All Rights Reserved
>>
>>Config: v1.8SL11 32-bit little-endian readline printim
>>
>>Issue 'q config' command for more information.
>>
>>Landscape mode? (no for portrait):
>>GX Package Initialization: Size = 11 8.5
>>Segmentation fault
>>I can use grads in both the computers when  I log in directly. Do I
>>have to type something before opening the grads window?
>>
>>thanks in advance,
>>john

Satyaban Bishoyi Ratna
Research Scholar
Department of Meteorology and Oceanography
Andhra University
Visakhapatnam-530 003
Andhra Pradesh
India