Track of the tropical cyclone

Charles Seman Charles.Seman at NOAA.GOV
Fri Apr 7 12:24:19 EDT 2006

Dear Sajjad Saeed,

It may be that the script cannot read your "grb" file (is this a "grib"
file?)... I haven't used the script, but from the documentation, we see
this:
---
*
*  Script to draw an hurricane-track plot.
*  Does little error checking on the input file.
*  Assumes the input file is set up as follows:
*
*    Line 1:  Title
*    Line 2:  Drawing primitives for marks: marktype size
*    Line 3:  Drawing primitives for lines: color style thickness
*    Line 4:  Starting hour and the interval of plotting points
*             e.g., 0 6 means that track starts at 0 hour and mark
*                   will be plotted every 6 hours.
*    Rest of lines:  hour  long.  lat.
*             e.g.,   0    -70.5  25.0
*                     6    -71.8  25.2
*                            :
*                            :
*
*  Also assumes that a file has been opened (any file, doesn't
*  matter -- the set command doesn't work until a file has been
*  opened).
*
---

approach 1:
Based on the above documentation, I would say to open your "ctl" file in
GrADS, and then run your "trackcyclone.gs" script, and specify an ASCII
text file containing the locations of the hurricane... if you do not
have these in a text file, perhaps you could adapt the code in file
"hurricane_tracking.txt" (attached, which contains an email exchange
between Arturo Caracas Uribe and Kun-Hsuan Chou to the GrADS Listserv
with code to track the maximum wind speed... ) to generate a script
which you would run before you run "trackcyclone.gs" to generate the
ASCII text file containing the locations of the hurricane...
---
approach 2:
Another idea would be to adapt the code from "hurricane_tracking.txt"...
for example, by putting a time loop around the code, then plotting the
location for each time... I'm not sure what parameter you might be
using?  minimum surface pressure, maximum surface vorticity, etc?  if
the points are too dense, the time loop increment could be increased
from "1" to "2" or "3" etc (perhaps make this a parameter to be set
before entering the time loop)...
---

I'm not sure if either of the above approaches would help you...

I hope this helps,
Chuck