GrADS-DODS Segmetation Faults On Fedora

Patrice Dumas pertusus at FREE.FR
Sat Apr 1 17:48:52 EST 2006

> fine. Problem solved or so I thought. Two weeks later and the executable
> will not work anymore ???? Segmentation fault. I haven't installed any
> software since, so theoretically no files or libraries have been disturbed.

Maybe there was an automatic update? Otherwise it's rather strange.

> I have been following the threads on the user list, but see that the FC-4
> tar-ball may not be compatible with FC-3. I have also installed FC-5 as this

If you want to build from source, you may try the tarball I did on
http://www.environnement.ens.fr/perso/dumas/fc-srpms/grads-1.9b4.tar.gz

FC-3 has all the required rpms, except libgadods. (you may need hdf-devel
udunits-devel netcdf-devel readline-devel libdap-devel libnc-dap-devel
libsx-devel Xaw3d-devel zlib-devel libjpeg-devel gd-devel ncurses-devel
libpng-devel). But you won't have libgadods, the version currently available
doesn't build with recent libdap. It seems to me that it is worked on.

> make[2]: Entering directory `/root/grads-1.9b4/src'
> g++  -g -O2   -o gradsdods  grads.o gxsubs.o gxmeta.o gxchpl.o gxcntr.o gxstrm.o gxwmap.o gxshad.o gaexpr.o gafunc.o gautil.o gagx.o gscrpt.o gamach.o bufrstn.o gabufr.o gabufrtbl.o gxX.o gxdxwd.o gd13gif.o dodstn.o  galats.o lats.o latsint.o latsgrib.o latstime.o latsstat.o fgbds.o fgutil.o latsgribmap.o gagmap.o   gaddes-dods.o gacfg-dods.o gaio-dods.o gauser-dods.o gasdf-dods.o -L../../supplibs/lib   ../../supplibs/lib/libgd.a ../../supplibs/lib/libpng.a ../../supplibs/lib/libz.a   ../../supplibs/lib/libreadline.a -lSM -lICE -lX11    -lgadods -lnc-dods -ldap++ -lgadods -lnc-dods -ldap++  ../../supplibs/lib/libudunits.a ../../supplibs/lib/libwww.a ../../supplibs/lib/librx.a ../../supplibs/lib/libz.a  latsnc-dods.o -ltermcap -lm
> ../../supplibs/lib/libgadods.a(gadods.o): In function `std::__default_alloc_template<true, 0>::allocate(unsigned int)':/usr/include/c++/3.2.2/bits/stl_alloc.h:402: undefined reference to `std::__default_alloc_template<true, 0>::_S_force_new'

In the end there also may be issues with other symbols, but this one
make me guess that there is an incompatibility between the libstdc++
version that was used to build libgadods and the FC-3 libstdc++. If you
a old static library of libstdc++, maybe you could recompile, but I'm not
sure. And there is still the library binary interface incompatibility issues
that will remain even after the recompilation from source, for libdap++.a
from supplibs (maybe not for FC-3, but it seems so from your report above).

--
Pat