GrADS-DODS Segmetation Faults On Fedora

Greg Clarke gsclarke at EMIRATES.NET.AE
Sat Apr 1 08:43:44 EST 2006

Good-Day All,

This appears to be a popular topic of recent, so I am asking for some
assistance here too.

Our production machines are still running RH8, but we are looking to upgrade
both hardware and OS. I use Fedora Core 3 at home for test and development
purposes, and am busy working on new scripts for accessing the GFS model via
DODS. However, when I copied the grads over from my RH8 PC, the DODS part
did not work - segmentation fault. I have had this before with a faulty hard
disk. I downloaded the 1.9b4 RH9 executables from COLA and gradsdods worked
fine. Problem solved or so I thought. Two weeks later and the executable
will not work anymore ???? Segmentation fault. I haven't installed any
software since, so theoretically no files or libraries have been disturbed.

I have been following the threads on the user list, but see that the FC-4
tar-ball may not be compatible with FC-3. I have also installed FC-5 as this
is where our upgrade may lead us, and the make function fails building the
gradsdods executable. Attached is the log file - if some kind person could
review and let me know where this has gone wrong. Regrettably my abilities
in programming and building from source are somewhat limited when it comes
to compilation errors.

Many thanks & kind regards

Greg Clarke
Support: OMAA Meteorological Office