copyright and licenses review

Don Hooper hoop at COLORADO.EDU
Wed Sep 21 04:13:05 EDT 2005

Patrice Dumas,

Julia Collins and I are University of Colorado employees stationed at NOAA,
a U.S. federal government agency.  Thus, we do our work on federal government
computers.  Thus, all of our work is in the public domain.  This was actually
tested several years back:  a colleague tried to assert a copyright to the
University's Regents for some code she had written, and lawyers explained
the situation as I have above.  I know I've shared this point with Brian Doty;
I may have mentioned it to Jennifer Adams of COLA as well.  I've no idea why
there is no notation to this effect in gasdf.c, gasdf.h, or gasdf_std_time.h.
In any case, it's the same as with wgrib.c, written by another person
affilliated with NOAA.  U.S. federal government stuff is public domain, period.
I'm quite certain I've told both Brian and Jennifer to do whatever they want
with the code I've contributed to the GrADS project.  I'm fairly certain all
of the other project participants had this in mind before they started, too.

-Hoop